Thursday, January 12, 2017

AAR: Eve Capitalism At Its Finest

We all have things that we need to do in our lives. Buy food, go to work/school, piss and shit, clean, buy gas.

Eve isn't all that much different sometimes. When there are real assets that you have worked to earn on the line and at risk, it pays to do some very basic things to keep them safe. Sometimes people just don't know better. Other times its just straight up incompetence.

I live in Genesis. I've lived out here for perhaps 3-4 weeks now, mostly surviving off of scanning and exploration. Other, bigger entities than me make a living off of other things, like industry. Moon Mining and Moon Reactions are two of the big ones out here, both of which require POSes.

I hate POSes. I've had to set them up, manage them, tear them down. Then reset them up, manage them, and tear them down... again. Working with the damn things is tedious, labor intensive work. That being said, you only have to do three things to protect your POS, or more importantly the assets inside. One: fuel with Strontium. Two: anchor and online defensive turrets. Three: keep supplied with Fuel Blocks.

The first and second is do and forget. The third is a constant upkeep. And for the life of me, I can't understand why someone would forget to keep their Control Towers fueled when these things cost hundreds of millions, sometimes billions of ISK.

But in the relatively short time I've been out here, I've found two offline POSes. The first was a dud, the second netted me about 400 million ISK.

I really hated hauling this shit.
And that isn't all. Not only have a found offline POSes, but I have found online POSes with defensive modules that are not even anchored. For the uninitiated, if a POS module is unanchored, it is in an open free-for-all, and anyone can scoop it into their cargo and run. So far... I've found four POSes with this affliction. One of which had an entire Control Tower just sitting unanchored unattended at a moon.



Ok, so fuel can sometimes slip your mind. Maybe you are busy in real life and can't log in for 5 minutes and throw more fuel in the bay. Maybe your account lapsed. Maybe you got podded and can't make it back in time with more fuel. But forgetting to straight up anchor your modules? That is literately step one in setting up the POS.

Shit... I'm sitting outside a POS right now that has its defenses incapacitated and unable to function. As if the owners could care less about even the vague appearance of safety.

And then there is the icing on the cake: Mobile Siphon Units. See, I was bored one day and decided to dump 100 million on buying some Siphons to steal some moon materials from the local POSes. I found some that didn't have defenses online, and slapped them down, expecting them to live for at most two days.

It's two weeks later and they are still alive. Not only are they still alive, I have actually witnessed the owner of the POSes come online, warp to each of them in turn to collect the materials he had harvested, and go offline again. I don't know if he is blind, doesn't care, or is afraid of me retaliating against him if he tries to destroy my Siphons.

I just don't get it. They are simple, very simple steps you can do to secure your assets and hard earned ISK. And yet, here I am, profiting off of the backs of the stupid or lazy.

This entire region is crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment